Friday, June 3, 2011

Gender Equality

31st of May approx 1130am i was driving past Omaxe mall when i saw this pink top autorikshaw (called auto). Only for women it said. I was not so impressed. We talk of gender equality but then we see pink n the reservations for castes n tribes etc. I don't see it as reservation. I see it as separation, a discrimination of sorts. Reserve jobs, reserve seats, reserve modes of transportation. I hope they don't come up with a women only state. Actually if they do, it will be a triumph for the queer community. This brings me to the fact that only for women, pink auto signifies our mindset, of our rulers n lawmakers. This mindset of reservation, discrimination is the reason why 377 took so long to decriminalise. Hail Justice Ajit P Shah. The fight for queer equality is far from over. We are turning primitive in India, going backwards actually n hence the separations. Like 377, mindsets may not change.

No comments:

Post a Comment